Saturday 25 August 2012

OVERLY EFFICIENT

It isn't even 11 o'clock on a Saturday morning.  I have already fed the cats and got ready to go to Weight Watchers.  I checked in there and listened to the lecture.  I then put gas in the car, went grocery shopping, went to The Second Cup for my latte and had the car washed.  The next thing was to come home to my gym and do at least 15 minutes on the elliptical before I put my bum in the seat.  After all, that is my worst habit... sitting on my butt. 

A big, broad grin erupted when I went to my home gym only to find out all the equipment had been moved aside since the drywall on the ceiling was just reinstalled.  So here I am back on my butt in front of the computer where I like to be.  But today's lecture at Weight Watchers was somewhat enlightening.  My weight is up and down and generally overall the same is it was last December. 
Small changes... that's what it is all about!  Last week, I cut from a medium iced latte at The Second Cup to a small and with all my transgressions I still lost .8 lb.  Well it is better than gaining.

So this week it is "on my feet".  Paul, my husband tells me he intentionally parks a few blocks away so he can walk because he knows it is good for him.  And certainly, everyone knows he is the busiest person alive.  I might be running second place to him.  I can squeeze in more in a day than most people I know.  I put in about 3 hours a week out of the house exercising at a gym.  But I park the closest I can to the grocery store.  I will sit at a party if there is a seat handy, rather than stand.  I was amazed to know how many more calories are burnt just from standing.  No wonder I have a big butt, apart from the genetics. 

This instructor today at Weight Watchers was an old-time one from 30 years ago.  She spent more time being motivational with a great sense of humour than picking everyone's brain about what they did and how they intend to make things better.  The flip chart started off with "Be less efficient". That was one of my first smiles of the day.  What they really meant was use your time more wisely.  I am probably one of the most efficient people I know and nary a day passes without some telling me so and commenting how do I do it all.  Little do they know that I also spend too much time on Pinterest on the computer as well as Scrabble.  That time could be spent better on getting off my butt a little more often. 

I have to design a desk escape.  And when I am not at my desk, I am at the kitchen table with my ipad and I even take it to the family room when I watch TV multitasking on the ipad at the same time.
This instructor believes that multi-tasking is the bane to our existence and not a very good thing after all.  On some days, I'll look at the clock, shocked to see how long I haven't moved from my chair.

I have a pedometer but use it only once in a while.  I guess it is time to clip it on and go.  Please be seated when I tell you the average person sits for nine hours a day.  Sounds like me.  I hear myself saying "Hey, you in the chair! Get moving!".  It turns out that all that chair time isn't good for your health or your weight loss - even if you exercise consistently.  So if I or you make a little more time and space in our day to get up an move, we will be doing our bodies a big favour.

About being less efficient.  I don't think that will happen.  It took me years to be this efficient.  I am not going backwards.  However, I sort of know what is meant.  They really mean make multiple trips and use few labour-saving devices.  Heck!  I have the car loaded with bottled water waiting for my husband to come home to take it out of the car.  Nah, that part isn't going to change.  I probably won't modify my work space... but I could get up an stand more or move more.  If I rethink my social outings, it won't be to go bowling instead of a cocktail party.  It might be consciously choosing to stand more.  And, do I need to drive everywhere?  The answer is yes, definitely for errands.  It is all about small changes so when the exercise room is back in usable order, I will go directly to my elliptical when I get in rather than sitting at my computer somewhere in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment